Acetyltriethyl citrate occurs as a clear, odorless, practically colorless oily liquid. Nonproprietary Names
- USP-NF: Acetyltriethyl Citrate
- ATEC; Citroflex A-2; triethyl acetylcitrate; triethyl O-acetylcitrate; triethyl citrate acetate.
Chemical Name and CAS Registry Number
- 1,2,3-Propanetricarboxylic acid, 2-acetyloxy, triethyl ester [77-89-4]
Empirical Formula and Molecular Weight
- C14H22O8 318.3
Applications in Pharmaceutical Formulation or Technology
Acetyltriethyl citrate is used to plasticize polymers in formulated pharmaceutical coatings. The coating applications include capsules, tablets, beads and granules for taste masking, immediate release, sustained-release and enteric formulations. It is also used in diffusion-controlled release drug delivery systems.
- Acid value 0.02
- Boiling point 2948͒C (decomposes)
- Flash point 1888͒C
- Pour point 438͒C
- Solubility Soluble 1 in 140 of water; miscible with acetone, ethanol, and propan-2-ol.
- Viscosity (dynamic) 54 mPa s (54 cP) at 258͒C.
Method of Manufacture
Acetyltriethyl citrate is prepared by the esterification of citric acid with ethanol followed by acylation with acetic anhydride.
Related Substances: Acetyltributyl citrate; tributyl citrate; triethyl citrate.