CEEPRO-250/500/700 (Ciprofloxacin Tablets BP)
Bactericidal action of Ciprofloxacin results from inhibition of both type II topoisomerase & topoisomerase IV, required for bacterial DNA replication, transcription, repair & recombination.
Oral Ciprofloxacin absorbed rapidly and extensively from small intestine with 70-80% bio-availability, Cmax 0.56-3.7 mg/L, Tmax 1-2 hr, low protein binding (20-30%), distribution 2-3L/kg body weight & T ½ 4 hrs. 40 to 50% excreted in urine as unchanged drug.
Lower respiratory tract infections, Chronic supurative otitis media, urinary tract and genital tract infections, GI tract infection, Intra-abdominal infections, skin and soft tissue infections, malignant external otitis, infections of bones & joints, prophylaxis of invasive infections, inhalation anthrax, fever.
In patients with known hypersensitivity to Ciprofloxacin, or any of the excipients of product. Concomitant administration of Ciprofloxacin and tizanidine.
Special precaution and warnings
Not suitable for severe infections. Reconsider if clinical improvement is not achieved after 3 days. Use with caution in patients with tendon disorders. Avoid Ciprofloxacin in patients with known history of myasthenia gravis.
Ciprofloxacin may cause photosensitivity reactions.
Discontinue immediately at first appearance of seizure, skin rash, jaundice, signs and symptoms of hepatic disease & G6PD deficiency. Urine hydration & alkalinity to avoid crystalluria. Avoid Ciprofloxacin during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
Dosage and directions for use
Delay in absorption when Ciprofloxacin tablets is given with food.
- Infections of respiratory tract: 500mg twice daily to 750mg twice daily for 7 to 14 days
- Urinary tract infections: 250mg to 750mg twice daily for 3-7 days
- Genital tract infections: 500mg to 750mg twice daily for at least 14 days
- Infections of GI tract & intra-abdominal infections: 500-700 mg twice daily for 3-5 upto 14 days
- Infections of the skin and soft tissue: 500mg to 750mg twice daily for 7 to 14 days
- Bone and joint infections: 500mg to 750mg twice daily for maximum 3 months
- Neutropenic patients with fever: 500 to 750mg twice daily
- Inhalation anthrax: 500mg twice daily for 60 days
- Cystic fibrosis & complicated UTI, pyelonephritis & other severe infection: 20mg/kg body weight twice daily, maximum 750mg/per dose for 10 to 21 days.
Most commonly observed AE are nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Occasional AE are colitis, dyspnea, anaemia, pancytopenia, bone marrow depression, allergic, oedema/angioedema, allergy, decreased appetite, headache, dizzness, sleep disorders, taste disorders, tremor, seizures, vertigo, migraine, visual disturbances, tinnitus, tachycardia, arrhythmia, vasodilation, hypotension, syncope, GI & abdominal pains, dyspepsia, flatulence, pancreatitis, increase transaminases & bilirubin, rash, pruritus, urticaria, erythema, AGEP, exacerbation of myasthenia gravis, renal impairment and failure, crystalluria.