The eRapid™ Nebulizer System
Read this Instructions for Use before you start taking Pulmozyme and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This information does not take the place of talking to your healthcare provider about your medical condition or your treatment.
This information does not take the place of the Manufacturer’s eRapid Nebulizer System Instruction Booklet. This information is needed to show you the right way to use the eRapid Nebulizer System.
The eRapid Nebulizer System changes the Pulmozyme liquid medicine into a fine mist you inhale by breathing through a mouthpiece.
Do not use any other inhaled medicines in the nebulizer at the same time. Keep all other inhaled medication systems completely separate from Pulmozyme.
The eRapid Nebulizer System should only be used by adults and children who can use a mouthpiece, and not by younger children who need a mask to take Pulmozyme.
Supplies you will need to give a dose of Pulmozyme
- 1 ampule of Pulmozyme
- eRapid Nebulizer System, including the: eRapid Nebulizer Handset (handset); eBase Controller (controller)
- Power source for the controller, using either: 4 “AA” batteries (disposable or rechargeable); or an AC Power Supply plugged into a typical wall outlet (110 volt power outlet)
- Nose clip (optional)
- Manufacturer’s eRapid Nebulizer System Instruction Booklet
Preparing the eRapid nebulizer system
Step 1. Clean a flat table surface and wash your hands.
- Clean a flat table surface.
- Wash your hands well with soap and water before using the Pulmozyme ampule and nebulizer. This helps prevent infection
Step 2. Gather the nebulizer and test it.
- Place the eRapid system parts on a clean, flat table surface within reach.
- Make sure the controller batteries are charged or that the unit is plugged into a power outlet
- Press and hold the ON/OFF button on the controller for a few seconds to test if the controller will turn on.
- When controller is turned on, press and hold the ON/OFF button to turn the controller off.
Step 3. Gather the Pulmozyme ampule and check the expiration date.
- Remove 1 foil pouch of Pulmozyme from the refrigerator. Open the foil pouch and remove 1 ampule of Pulmozyme. Put the remaining ampules back in the foil pouch and return them to the refrigerator.
- Check the expiration date printed on the ampule. Do not use Pulmozyme ampule if expiration date has passed.
Step 4. Check the Pulmozyme ampule.
- Check the ampule for leaks by turning it upside down and gently squeezing. Do not use the ampule if it is leaking.
- Check the Pulmozyme liquid in the ampule and make sure it is clear and free of particles. Do not use Pulmozyme if the liquid is cloudy or discolored. Take the Pulmozyme back to the pharmacy, hospital, or clinic that gave you the medicine.
Step 5. Put together the eRapid nebulizer system.
- The eRapid Nebulizer System has several small parts that must be put together the right way to give your dose of Pulmozyme
- The parts must be cleaned and disinfected at least 1 time before first use.
- See the Manufacturer’s eRapid Nebulizer System Instruction Booklet for cleaning instructions and step-by-step instructions for how to put together your eRapid Nebulizer System
Step 6. Open the Pulmozyme ampule.
- Hold the tab at the bottom of the Pulmozyme ampule firmly. Twist off the top. Do not squeeze the body of the ampule
Step 7. Pour the full Pulmozyme dose into the nebulizer.
- Turn the ampule upside-down and squeeze gently to empty the medicine into the medication reservoir. Keep squeezing until the ampule is empty. It is very important that you squeeze out all the medicine in the ampule
Step 8. Place the cap on the Medication Reservoir.
- Line up the tabs on medication cap with the slots on medication reservoir
- Turn medication cap clockwise until it stops
Step 9. Turn on the nebulizer.
- Press and hold ON/OFF button on the controller for a few seconds
- The controller will beep and the light will turn green. The nebulizer will start making mist
Taking your dose of Pulmozyme
Step 10. Breathe through the mouthpiece.
- Place the mouthpiece between your teeth and on top of your tongue
- Breathe slowly in and out through your mouth. Do not block medicine flow with your tongue.
- Do not breathe through your nose. If you have problems breathing only through your mouth, use a nose clip
- If you need to stop treatment before you are finished, or you begin coughing, press and hold the ON/OFF button on the controller for 1 second
- To restart your treatment, press and hold the ON/OFF button for 1 second.
- Continue your treatment until the controller beeps twice.
- The nebulizer will shut off by itself when your dose is complete. The complete treatment usually takes from 1 minute to 5 minutes.
Step 11. Check that you received your full dose.
- After your treatment, about 1/5 teaspoon (1mL) of medicine should be left in the medication reservoir
- Open the medication cap and check the medication reservoir. If more than 1/5 teaspoon (1 mL) is left in the medication reservoir, put the medication cap back on and continue treatment.
- When treatment is complete, throw away the 1/5 teaspoon (1 mL) of medicine that is left in the medication reservoir.
After Your Treatment with Pulmozyme
Step 12. Cleaning the nebulizer
- If the controller is on, turn off the controller by pressing and holding the ON/OFF button.
- Take apart the nebulizer system.
- Throw away the empty Pulmozyme ampule in your household trash.
- See the Manufacturer’s eRapid Nebulizer System Instruction Booklet for cleaning instructions
How should I store Pulmozyme?
- Store Pulmozyme in its foil pouch in the refrigerator between 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C) until you are ready to use it.
- When traveling, Pulmozyme should be kept cold.
- Do not freeze Pulmozyme.
- Protect Pulmozyme from excessive heat and strong light.
- Do not use Pulmozyme if it has been left at room temperature for a total time of 24 hours or if it becomes cloudy or discolored.
- Do not use Pulmozyme past the expiration date printed on the ampule.